29 January 2020
Our journey to sustainability so far.
From key stats to strategic goals, here’s what we’ve already achieved to make our business better for the British coast and beyond.
We’ve worked hard with our packaging suppliers to move away from single-use plastic, replacing it with recyclable alternatives where possible:
• All our store bags from March 2020 will be made from 100% recycled and recyclable paper, and we also sell re-usable canvas shoppers as an alternative.
• 93% of our online orders are despatched in 50% recycled and recyclable plastic mail bags (the rest come in recycled cardboard boxes) and our despatch notes are made from 100% recycled paper which can also be recycled.
• All our stock is delivered to stores in second-hand cardboard boxes.
• We’re trialling new, innovative solutions for internal packaging, such as those made from corn starch and biodegradable sources.
• We’re working with a new supplier so we can start to make our care labels and swing tickets recyclable and recycled from August 2020.
• Each member of the head office team is issued with a ‘Sustainable Starter Pack’ upon enrolment, promoting sustainability in everyday life and including a re-fillable water bottle, a desk plant for air quality and a pen and pad made from recycled paper.
• There are a number of recycling points around head office for everything from plastic containers to coffee cups.
• Giving old stock a new lease of life matters to us too. We donate our faulty stock to Newlife, a charity that raises money to improve the lives of disabled and terminally ill children across the UK.
PASSIONATE ABOUT PAPER
Our catalogue is fully recyclable and biodegradable, using paper sourced from sustainable forests. We’re also on track to becoming a paperless office, making it easier to work without printing through the introduction of TV screens and laptops that can be used in meetings. We actively promote the importance of using less paper in head office and encourage employees to recycle where possible.
OFFERING ORGANIC We’re committed to making a greater percentage of our products using environmentally friendly and organic fabrics. This year we’re focusing on finding more sustainable production methods and supporting responsibly sourced cotton. We also reduce wastage as well as costs by ordering large quantities of products at a time
SHIPPING BY SEA We keep transportation emissions to a minimum by shipping as much of our range by boat as possible, this allows us to minimise our carbon footprint.
Win a VIP weekend with Exeter Chiefs
Win the ultimate rugby lovers’ prize for the champion in your life.
Introducing The Crew Christmas Market
It’s coming to Exeter
The Polo Bear Workshop
All your gifts personalised with the aid of our very special helper